With the relatively recent updates which brought us the bell-ish kind of sound once the 'auto' finished it's iteration. I was wondering why not make use of the cool Notification feature that our browsers have been supporting for some time now.
It would send us an notification whenever: - we get a PM or someone whispered. - World boss spawned - new arena opened - etc...
For people like me (didn't want to point fingers at Lawsy) who from time to time (most of the time) are (pretending to be) hardly working it would be tremendously useful feature.
I was also considering to code a standalone plugin for Chrome and Firefox and post it here, but since the game-rules discourages players from using any kind of client-side scripting, I'm not intending to do so any time soon, unless it's approved by Mr. Stabz
To differentiate between causes you would need a different "bell" sound for each type of notification, something which gets confusing and annoying very quickly. Beside that let me make a few points.
- PMs already have a visual notification, so I don't see a need for a sound as well. I'm also not really sure how many people would want/benefit from this.
- How would whispers work? Just on any new whisper or on all whispers? Anything that really needs to be said between two players, which can't desperately wait, is said via PM, so I'm not sure what an urgent alert like a bell sound would do other than cause mild irritation by someone trolling.
- For the same reason that there is no warning/countdown timer on boss spawns, there won't be any musical notification on boss spawns, its designed to give the advantage to those that are actively here and paying attention rather than those that are not.
- Open arenas typically stay open for 5,10,15,30,45..ect minutes. Most the increments involved give you plenty of time to causally glance to the screen to see new Arenas to join. So I don't see the benefit in this.
Nah my intention is not to add another bell sounds for these events. I'd rather have the notification message to appear once any of the above mentioned events get triggered. (example)
(Just a side note, there is no need to have this handled by server , this can be purely client-side thing. By parsing the global chat you can easily tell when someone whispered you, boss appeared or whenever you found a rare item etc. )
- Well if this doesn't fit for bosses, then at least use them for Arenas or it may find use for something else. ( Like notifying users whenever something from their list has been sold on MArket.)